Hello! My name is Crystal Lee and I’m a holistic career coach.
I’m thrilled to meet you in this corner of the digital world. Here’s a bit about me and below is a little more about me.
Since 2013, I have been helping people clarify their values and purpose to live with greater meaning and joy. My clients have relocated to new cities, landed dream jobs, started businesses, and successfully navigated major life transitions such as returning to work after a break and building a career in a new country.
As a 1.75 generation Chinese Canadian, I have always been fascinated by the impact of culture on behaviors. This interest shows up in my work as I often support folks of diverse backgrounds who are discovering their own definitions of success against the backdrop of social and cultural norms. I have also worked with hundreds of newcomers and international students in Canada through Vancouver Island University, YWCA Metro Vancouver, Vancouver Film School, and 15+ years of teaching.
In my spare time, you will find me growing food in my front yard (for humans and pollinators) and enjoying walks (preferably flat strolls close to nature or bakeries) with my partner and dog. Having at one point moved 10 times in 10 years, I am grateful to be living on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Snuneymuxw First Nation, also known as Nanaimo, Canada.
More about me and how I came to support relocating job seekers and career changers
- Immigrated from Hong Kong to Vancouver with my family. I learned English by watching Saved By The Bell and kept up with my Cantonese through weekly Saturday Chinese classes.
- I was shy and nerdy before it became mainstream.
- Did my undergrad at the University of British Columbia (UBC), majoring in Cell Biology and Genetics, minoring in Asian Studies. To this day, I am fascinated by the natural world, culture, and human behaviors.
- Taught English writing in China, USA, and Canada.
- Realized I am an introvert who likes people and much prefers deep conversations.
- Graduated from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) with a Master of Public Health degree in Community Health Sciences. This experience honed my ability to think holistically while driving targeted results.
- Worked in San Francisco until I quit a job I hated and lost my visa to stay in the US.
- Moved through multiple existential crises about my life including where I should live, what I should do, and who I should surround myself with.
- Completed a 200-hour coaching program and earned my Certified Professional Co-Active Coach (CPCC) designation.
- Began my coaching practice to support career changers, while also working in non-profit, healthcare, education, and tech. Having crisscrossed across industries, I can confidently say that my career changing strategies work!
- Developed a wonderful support network by organizing community gatherings, running a Meetup group, facilitating a monthly Social Impact Group for changemakers, starting a laughter yoga club, and braving many networking events.
- Launched Relocal with a focus on hosting walking tours with local enthusiasts to promote connection among participants.
- Learned how to manage my energy. Sometimes, that means recharging on my own, while other times, it means recharging in community.
- Published a self-care activity book during the COVID pandemic.
- Pursued my dream of living on Vancouver Island, adopting a dog, and growing my own vegetables.
In a nutshell, I have a non-traditional career path that has led me to where I am now, doing what I do with Relocal.
I am so grateful to combine my passion for coaching, community building, and writing to help others communicate their uniqueness, form meaningful connections, and align their work with their long-term life goals!
Have questions about how I can support you as a holistic career coach? Send me a message!